Wednesday, July 29, 2009

monsoon!

I remember
Arizona
and the storms that would wake the desert.
There was energy in the air as the clouds moved in,
blackening the sky.
I imagined the energy coming from the land
as She begged the sky to let loose
the waters contained
in the canteens of the clouds.
The storm would tease Mother Earth.
Carried on his winds
was the sweet smell of rain.
He would wave this aroma
through the arms of the cactus.
It seemed almost too much to bear.
Even the dust would gather in twisting frenzy
as though to challenge the skies.
The thunder sounded like laughter
and the tension grew with every lightning strike.
A drop would fall, then two, three.
Soon, the sky opened completely
and released a wonderful torrent of rain.
Joy was visible in all the life around me.
After a time, the storm would slow down
and stop for awhile.
The lizards would peek out from hiding places
and chase small insects that had ventured from their spots.
Birds would sing of their thanks
from tree-tops and cactus limbs.
No symphony captured notes
as sweetly as these winged creatures were releasing.
I remember the air being warm
and a cool breeze softly caressing all life.
I especially remember my happiness
during these storms.
I felt connected to the land and kin to all the creatures.
I would go out to the desert
and run along Her trails with wild abandonment.
I know in these precious times I was closer to our Creator
than any other time.
Terms like civilization and rules and society meant nothing to me.
Monsoon was cleansing for the land
and for the inhabitants upon the land.
Those people who were awake (and willing) were able,
for awhile, to shake themselves off and feel
the freedom that comes from the oneness of nature.
There was and is a familiarity
about this freedom I speak of.
We all lived it once, long ago.
We still know it now,
when we gaze upon a blossoming flower
or listen to the wind in the trees.
I believe a monsoon is coming.
I think we all feel it,
some more than others.
Some say it will be a bad storm,
I say it will be a good one,
a cleansing rain.
A time is coming when love will be uppermost in our hearts
and we will be free again.
I say, why wait?
Let’s bring love back into our hearts and out to all people.
Freedom is just a thought away.
Get ready for the storm!

No comments:

Post a Comment