Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Conniption

O'Lord give me strength.
She's three years old and screaming.
I had the gall to say no to her.
She stared at me, disbelieving.
How could I refuse her pout?
Her sweet brown eyes were begging.
How could I free her pet,
the kitten she was chok...I mean petting?
This little princess crossed her arms,
by God, I'd see it her way!
If I didn't give the kitten back,
why, she'd have to scream all day!
I looked down at this little animal,
And he looked up at me.
It was as though he seemed to say,
"you hand me over, in your shoe I'll pee."
I stood there facing this little diva,
and then I became aware...
of an ominous quiet in the adjacent room...
where was the other child in my care?
My two year old was not where I had left her.
Oh no, that would be too easy.
Nope she was in the bathroom,
apparently, she liked her tresses greasy.
This was why she'd taken the vaseline,
and not just to coat her hair.
She had also swathed the dog, the toilet, the floor.
And with such abandon, such flair!
While I now had my attention taken,
by the littlest demon I'd birthed.
The other darling had stopped screaming,
she was busy bringing in worms she'd unearthed.
By the time I felt my radar again holler,
well...it was too late.
The living room, couch and all,
had taken on a horrible fate.
By the end of the day, when my ex made his nightly call,
to berate me on my faults as mother,
I looked down at my sleeping angels and sighed,
softly cursed him and told him to pester another.
For all the hell these babies put me through,
I would have it no other way.
I know the work I'm putting in,
will have its payoff,
one day.

No comments:

Post a Comment